Thursday, 11 October 2012

Domestic Goddess or Domestic Disaster?

THE mug or the MUG?
I joked the other day in my post Do you remember when checkout operators knew how to pack bags about being a domestic goddess and I even have the mug claiming I am one!  But after this afternoons finale I'm starting to think I am the MUG, not THE mug.  Would you believe that the Oxford Online dictionary actually has a definition for this term these days??  I have provided excerpt below for your amusement.



Okay, so maybe I'm being too hard on myself.  According purely to the definition I could comply!  I have exceptional domestic skills, when I chose to use them, and I can cook sausages & mash with the best of them!

Us women are, without a doubt, our own worst enemies.  Why are we so covertly horrible to each other?  Why do most women feel the need (myself included) to portray this perfectly ordered life when in reality we are no more than a duck who is paddling like crazy underneath all with the express purpose to keep things appearing cool, calm and collected on top. Besides, it's inevitable that even the most co-ordinated & elegant 'duck' will occasionally end up with it's head under water and ass in the air!

 When it really comes down to it, who cares?  We may go to the 'lake', look at a 'duck' and think how calm they look and feel envious of their apparent ordered existence, but, I guarantee you, when we are neck deep in our own lives (i.e. cooking dinner, worrying about issues at work, listening to readers, supervising increasingly complex grade 3 maths homework, packing lunches for the next day, co-coordinating the washing, ironing, banking, bills, groceries, repairing ripped school pants, consoling a child over their latest hurt or injury, avoiding standing on sharp pieces of Lego & quelling the latest  argument between the children) the 'duck' we saw at the 'lake' is the last thing on our minds.

I'm the first one to admit I'm not perfect, but hey, show me someone who thinks they are and I'll show you a liar!  Irrespective of others opinions, I will tell you this... I AM the PERFECT mother for MY children!  No one in this world will ever love them or care more about them than me and if I stay true to this then hopefully when they grow up they will forgive me for refusing them that one more piece of cake, making them go bed, forcing them to brush their teeth or in the case of my beautiful 7 year old putting him in the shower fully clothed after he had flat out refused to shower for 4 days!

At the end of the day, Dr Suess sums it up the best...

Photo


No comments:

Post a Comment