My son shared an interesting analogy with me today..... pure wisdom really from a nine, nearly ten year old.
"You know what mum, life is a bit like Lego, bit by bit its just blocks, but when you put it all together you can create anything."
Since when did my beautiful little boy become such a prodigy?? He raises a very valid point really. If we focus on individual things all the time then everything is actually quite simplistic..... I guess the real goal is to be able to focus on individual things as a part of a larger picture.
I often wonder how people like Leonard da Vinci managed to complete the works he did.... did he envision his entire masterpiece from the beginning or did he work on it brick by brick? Irrespective of which angle you view this from, the ability to do either is quite an achievement.
Personally, I've always been a big picture chick..... I can see the big picture and can even break it down to smaller pieces... I am willing to recognise that I may not always be the best person to build each individual piece, but nonetheless can usually see how these pieces can fit together.
I would much rather spend my time getting to know experts in each field so that when asked, I can say with confidence, for your real estate sales, you need to use Pete, for your accounting you need to use Brad or Neil, if it's a telecommunications guru you are after obviously you speak with Anthony etc.
As for the meaning of life, well, if that's what you are after...... I don't know... ask Siri.....
It took me A LOT of years to realise that I am not defined by what I do each day.... my job title, in reality means nothing, in 50 years from now when I'm 85 and hopefully still around to be dribbling in to my morning oatmeal, the only thing that will matter to me is that I made a difference to James & Wil and that Anth enjoyed the time we spent together.
The past 3 years have probably been THE most challenging, yet also THE most rewarding of my life.
I have had the BIG career type jobs, earnt the BIG bucks etc, but overall, none of it measures up to what I have now... a job I genuinely like doing (thank you Peter Burley for teaching me the importance of this and also to Kay Jackson for the opportunity to do what I do) but I also collect my kids from school each day, spend time with them each holidays, work with other like minded mums and am actively involved in my kids lives!!! (Hell, I did papermache with them the other day; we made a pinata together)
If you've ever wondered or questioned if women can really have it all, then I'm telling you HELL YEAH.... you may just need to re define what 'having it all' means to you.
Thank you to my beautiful James for reminding me that Life is Like a Set of Lego
No comments:
Post a Comment