When I was growing up, work (more specifically HARDWORK) always came before success in the dictionary.
Work hard, study hard, do the right thing, help those less fortunate and you will be successful! Sound familiar? If so, chances are that you are either from the same era as me or had a similar upbringing to me.
By the time I was 21, I had a tertiary education, owned my own property, worked for a multinational company and was grateful to have a job that provided opportunities for growth and a secure income. Of been working for over 5 years, was fiercely Independant and I was proud!
I didn't expect a promotion, I didn't expect to be offered a leadership role or assume that just cos I'd been there a while that I had he right to order others around. I was learning new and interesting things and knew that I'm all reality that I simply wasn't ready to manage others. I didn't have the years behind me; don't get me wrong, I was good at what I did and my colleagues and clients respected my skills but my ego wasn't over inflated and I knew my limits, despite having a degree in management.
A very rare few people have a natural affinity to be leaders but most don't. Many go us can be good; in fact VERY good at what they do but this doesn't mean they automatically have leadership skills. In my opinion these usually come about as a result of years of experience.
This being said, unless you own your own business, you need to learn how to play the game! This doesn't mean being evil or caniving, it simply means learning how to behave in a corporate environment and how to respect the fact that someone else has gone before you and had the balls to start their own business in which they have graciously offered you a position. Are you doing them a favour being there or are they doing you a favour by offering you a regular income, the opportunity to develop a career and learn a multitude of skills?
As usual, these are merely my own thoughts & feelings but they are countered by my knowledge & experience; take them as you wish - businesses exist to make money for their owners not to provide an income for the staff. I operate on an 80/20 rule. If I enjoy 80% of the role I have, that's probably as good as it gets.
No comments:
Post a Comment